Pretty Cool Crochet Hat




This is a simple crocheted hat with a ribbed border. Not sure I came up with this one on my own, but here is my pattern.

Hook size: H
yarn: worsted weight

Starting off, chain 16.
Row 1: Single crochet in second chain from hook, and each chain across, chain 1, turn.(15 sts)
Row 2-70: Working in BACK LOOP ONLY, 1 sc in each sc across, chain 1, turn. (still 15 sts)

Seems like a lot of rows, I know, but when your only doing 15 sts.. goes pretty quick.

Now you have your border (bottom), to start making the dome:

Simple basic single crochet hat dome, I've done this with so many different crochet techniques, really the possibilities are endless. I've done flower borders, I've done knit cable borders, and just did a simple dome. You can come up with some really good stuff.

Row 1 of Dome: Working along the side of your crocheted rib, you should have chained one, now single crochet 70 (one single crochet in the end of every row of the rib) Do not turn. Slip stitch into first single crochet of row 1, ch 1. Do not turn.

Row 2-13: (Or until hat measures 5 inches from bottom of rib to top of last row completed) Working in rounds, one single crochet in every single crochet around, slip stitch in first single crochet, ch 1.

Row 14: *single crochet 8, single crochet two together* repeat from * to * around. Join with slip stitch, ch 1.
Row 15: *single crochet 7, single crochet two together* repeat from * to * around. Join with slip stitch, ch 1.
Row 16: *single crochet 6, single crochet two together* repeat from * to * around. Join with slip stitch, ch 1.
Row 17: *single crochet 5, single crochet two together* repeat from * to * around. Join with slip stitch, ch 1.
Row 18: *single crochet 4, single crochet two together* repeat from * to * around. Join with slip stitch, ch 1.
I bet you can't guess what's gonna happen next!
Row 19: *single crochet 3, single crochet two together* repeat from * to * around. Join with slip stitch, ch 1.
Row 20: *single crochet 2, single crochet two together* repeat from * to * around. Join with slip stitch, ch 1.
Row 21: *single crochet 1, single crochet two together* repeat from * to * around. Join with slip stitch, ch 1.
Row 22: (ah finally!) single crochet two together around, but leaving the last loop of every stitch on your hook, so that there are seven loops on your hook when done with the row.

Now cut the yarn leaving a good 5 inch tail. Pull the yarn threw all seven stitch, pull tight. I usually run it threw all seven stitches once more, just to be safe. Then you can cut the remaining tail.

Sew up that bottom seam and your done!! woohooo

8 comments:

  1. I like that hat. I may just have to give that a try! Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute hat. I am just learning to crochet and your instructions are so clear I think that I can give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having trouble printing off the complete directions. When I print it only gives me through Row 1 of Dome. I've tried it twice and still can't get it to print any further. Could you possibly try emailing me the directions to see if I could get them that way? I really like the looks of your hat and would really like to use it for some hats I'm crocheting a group of soldiers being shipped over to Afghanistan. Thanks, Deedee
    mschex@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I just made a hat with this pattern for my husband and he liked it! Thank you so much for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a beginner. Alright, I have the first 70 rows completed. I'm trying to start on the dome. I'm trying to figure out where to single crochet on the edge of the rib but the first time I tried it I could only find a place for 35 separate single crochets, not 70. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you have crocheted in every other row end instead of every, if you could find a place in between those stitches to sc also I think you'll be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you size the hat not every one has the same size head. I would like to tr it, also can you tell me how to roll a ball of yarn? Thanks unusualone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually with this hat you can make as many ribbed rows as you'd like and can be devided by 6-10 I would recommend - ex: 60,66, etc. for 6, 70, 77, etc for 7, and so on.
    Then single crochet in each row end around for the first row of the dome. Then if your number was 6 you would (sc 4, sc2tog), for 7 (sc 5, sc2tog) around and so on, decreasing evenly by your chosen number for every row until you get to your last row, and continue as for the pattern.

    For rolling a ball of yarn the easies and best way I've seen to do it by hand is here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/winding-a-center-pull-ball

    ReplyDelete